Supplies needed: Sizzix Big Shot or Big Kick machine, standard platform with flip tabs, pair of clear cutting plates, black silicone rubber pad, black hard plastic texture impression plate, any metal die and your choice of quality cardstock scrapbook paper.
1. Select a die that is designed to cut and emboss. Raised metal lines will cut out the paper and the flat, cut out areas on the die will emboss when using the silicone pad.
2. Choose your paper. Solid colors will work better when embossing. The raised texture that you add to your die cut might be hard to see when using patterned papers.
3. Cut your design first. Begin with the standard platform with all the tabs down. Place one of the clear cutting plates on top and lay your paper down in the center. Next, position the die on the paper with the cutting side down. Put the other clear plate on top of the die. Run this "sandwich" through the machine and back again.
4. Remove the top clear plate and extra paper that has been cut away. Keep your cut out piece in the die. Flip the die, with the cut in it, and leave it placed in the center of the bottom clear cutting plate. The cutting side of the die will now be facing up, ready to be embossed.
***TIP*** When your cutting plates get marked up, you can avoid unwanted texture by placing a piece of VERY thin plastic down first. Computer transparencies work great. Using an additional clear plate that you have not cut with, will work also.
5. Set this aside while you adjust your platform. Flip Tab 2 out, towards you, and then place your clear cutting plate, with the die, on top of the platform.
6. Place the black silicone rubber pad (the soft, floppy one) on top of the die. Top it with the hard black plastic texture plate. This will complete the "sandwich" to be embossed.
8. Remove the black pad and plate and pop your embossed paper die cut out of the die.
Now you are ready to embellish your cuts. Try misting or inking the edges to enhance the raised areas. Maybe we'll try another tutorial to "spark" your creativity!...Stay tuned...
Check out our Etsy shop for the best selection of Dutch dies...at the best prices on the internet!
On Facebook, "LIKE" Crazy Crafty Creators...
You'll receive monthly "Coupon Codes" and "New Merchandise" alerts.